Child Labor Action Learning Innovation in Nepal (Local Project Name), a child-centered approach to eliminate worst form of child labor project is supported by Child Hope UK (CHUK). The overall goal of Child Labor Action Learning Innovation in Nepal (CLARISSA) is to build a strong evidence base and generate innovative solutions through children and young people to the WFCL (Worst Forms of Child Labour) in order to contribute to a decrease in the number of children in the WFCL.
The programme design responds to the weak evidence base of what drives children into the WFCL and the lack of innovative solutions that build on children’s and other stakeholder’s perspectives and experiences. In Nepal project will particularly focus on Adult Entertainment Sectors (AES) and other associated WFCLs. The core essence of the project is to facilitate the Participatory Action Research (PAR process) including life story collection, narrative analysis, hotspots, neighborhoods and slums analysis and action research process based on works stream findings e.g. social norms outcomes, human chain, money lending, child agency etc. and developing interventions to counteract the preventing push factors at community, family and individual level and pull factors from unethical business The project broad thematic streams are;
(1) Supporting positive family dynamics and social norms: Understanding decision-making strategies around labour and education choices, and family business dynamics. Supporting positive dynamics and community social norms.
(2) Revealing and reducing harm in Supply/Human chains: Engaging with informal and hidden workplaces and intermediaries.
(3) Building children’s agency and child-led coalitions: Supporting child-led solutions through action-research groups among children and young people. Build and sustain child-led coalitions
Objectives of Project:
• Children those are involved in WFCL have increased their awareness and contributed directly to generating innovative solutions through child led approach (i.e. agencies/groups) to respond their own situations.
• Parents and guardians of children directly involved in WFCL are more aware of risks as a result supported in generating innovative solutions to tackle the WFCLs.
• Employers and other supply/human chain stakeholders directly involved with children are further aware of WFCL in the hidden spaces thus supported in generating and testing innovative solutions.
• National and local stakeholders i.e. government authorities, civil society organizations increase their understanding and engaged in the process of finding drivers of child labor.
Interventions in the CLARISSA Project:
1.Participatory Action Research (PAR)
Under PAR, project will collect 400 life stories with/from children. The life story collection is one of the methods that involve people telling stories of their lives or the story of an incident. The aim of these stories is to build a comprehensive picture of how people perceive their lives and the options they have and to understand how children are driven into and or make choices to enter Worst Forms of Child Labour (particularly from Adult Entertainment Sector (AES) and neighborhoods) and how it impacts on their lives. The stories should also help us to understand how the children and their families build resilience and find solutions to the problems that they face. We want to understand these things from the perspective of the children themselves. Through CLARISSA PAR approach, project aim to tackle the drivers of the worst forms of child labour through child-centred action research, recognizing the importance that any interventions are strongly evidence-based and grounded in the realities and needs of the children.
2. Consultation and Dialogue with Stakeholders
Project will closely work with the organisations, stakeholders and government to discuss on the learning, issues, research findings and piloted interventions. This helps to address policies and practices that may be harmful to children or pushing them into further hidden spaces of the child labour. The ongoing update of global CLARISSA project is here in this link https://clarissa.global/the-action/